The streak lives on (Pit @ Oak)
Bucco’s lose. 5-0. The streak continues. That’s 16 straight losses on the road. The last time that happened in bucco history? 1914 (Sept 5-Sept 26) It’s also the 8th time the Pirates have been shutout this season.
Daniel McCutchen took the mound (he was recalled by AAA Indy) He had a decent start, not good, not great. If I were to grade him I’d say a C.
He went 6IP 4H 4ER 2BB 2K
Cahill was a different story. He struck out a career high, 10. Gave up only 2 hits, 3BB through 7 2/3 innings. Cahill is also the 1st A’s Pitcher in the past 2 yeras with 7 + IP shutout & 10 K’s (The last guy? Rich Harden 6/26/08)
Barton went 3-4, 4RBI
Crisp 2-3, BB, SB, 3R
On a much brighter note, atleast they looked pretty sweet. And by that, I mean the uni’s. It was throwback night in Oakland and both teams worse 70′s uniforms. They are by far my favorite of the throwbacks in a while.
There is an update on Neil Walker. After spending the night at the hospital for precautionary reasons he was diagnosed with a concussion. He was (obviously) out of the lineup last night, and will be out the lineup possibly the remainder of the road trip. Walker will fly with the team to Chicago sunday and to Pittsburgh Monday to be examined by team doctors. Thankfully it was just a concussion, it could have been much worse.
It was “basically a mild concussion,” Walker said. Other than the headache and fatigue from lack of sleep in the hospital, he feels OK. He underwent a CT scan, blood tests and had his blood pressure checked every hour.
“I don’t remember getting hit,” Walker said, still wearing his hospital ID tag and joking that, “Fortunately, Church has soft knees.”
You can read the rest of the article here
Minor league update:
- Scott McCauley (AAA Indy’s annoucer) told me via twitter regarding Aki “he’s here, just not in the Indians lineup. In BP Aki hit some serious HR’s. He took ground balls at 3B”
Aki has yet to start since arriving on Friday.
- Brandon Moss hit a HR last night. If your counting that is 3 in his last 15 AB. He is 8 for his last 15 with 8RBI.
- Indianapolis beat Toledo 6-4. Negrych went 1-3, HR (3) and is batting (.404)
- Altoona lost to Bowie, 4-2. Alderson went 1.2IP 5H 4ER 2K 1BB
- Bradenton lost to Jupiter 4-3. Grossman went 2-4 with a triple, and a R.
- West Virgina lost to Greensboro 3-2. Brito 1-4, double, run
- State College won 9-8 over Batavia. Santos 2-4, HR, 2R
As you know, Alex Pressley was promoted to AAA a few days ago. But just who is this Alex? Check out Rocco DeMaro’s blog to find out. “A Mystery Player Evaluation”
Today’s Pitching Matchup:
Ross Ohlendorf vs Gio Gonzalez
0-6 5.43 ERA 6-5 3.89 ERA
Ohlendorf- Still winless this season. (Yes, you heard that right.) He has held opponents to a .203 AVG the 1st time through the order. The 2nd & 3rd time through? The opponents are batting .341.
Gio- His last start against the Reds was a beauty. He threw 7 innings. Gave up 1ER 4H 1BB and 9K (season high) At home this season Gonzalez is 4-2 with a 2.47 ERA (7 Starts) Lefties be scared. They are only hitting .145 against him.
I heard this quote yesterday. “You win 60 and you loose 60, it’s what you do with the other 42 that makes the difference.” At this rate, I hope the Pirates win 60 games. It has not been a very pretty year.
- Oh, the power of the Stash. Carl Pavano of the Twins is the 1st AL Pitcher with a CG shutout and 2 + hits at the plate since Clyde Wright on 9/14/1972 (against TEX)
As you guys know, I think there is nothing more funny then when baseball players grow staches throughout the season.
Here is a look at some of my favorites:
I am Ron Burgandy?? (haha I couldn’t help myself!)
DJ Carrasco had a nice one going when the Pirates were all growing them out. But I can’t find a picture anywhere. Boo.
- Mets Starting Pitching
Since May 17th they are a combined 17-4 with a 2.76 ERA
R.A Dickey Mike Pelfrey Jonathon Niese Johan Santana
6-0 2.33 ERA 6-1 2.38 ERA 3-0 3.25 ERA 2-3 3.25 ERA
- James Loney (last night against the Yankees) tied a season high 4 RBI. He leads the club with 51 RBI’s.
- Russell Martin. In his last 10 games he is batting .143 with 3RBI and 10BB. 1 for his last 21.
Anyone watch the Yankee/Dodger game yesterday? My highlight for sure was when Tommy Lasorda and Reggie Jackson were in the press box. (Im a HUGE TL fan!) It was very entertaining to hear them fight. Tommy still upset over that play at 3B. Reggie mad about a TL vmail saying something about “only Dodgers fans get into heaven” It was hilarous.
- Aj Burnett has been struggling as of late. Since Dave Eiland’s leave of absence he has gone 0-4 with a 10.35 ERA. 9HR allowed in 20 innings. With Eiland: 6-2 3.28 ERA. Only 4HR in 71 2/3 innings.
Here is what he had to say about his recent struggles:
“I’m out there throwing pitches, whether Dave’s in the dugout or not. He’s corrected me enough where I should have a memory of what Dave says. I’m a man, I’m a professional athlete who’s got a big contract, who’s here for a reason.”