The bats came alive, Pirates win 12-6
Before the game started, Ohlendorf was 1-1 with a 0.90 ERA, 16 K in 20 IP (in his last 3 starts)
Ross exited the game tonight just after 1.1 IP, 5H, 4R, 4ER, 2BB, 1K.
Normally, this would be a disaster of a game for the Pirates but tonight, it was the exact opposite.
The Pirates beat the Astros 12-6 and they had 17 hits on the night. I’m not kidding. I can’t even remember the last time the Pirates scored 12 runs, heck I can’t remember the last time they scored 8! I wasn’t at the game so here is the box score:
McCutchen 1-4, 2R, 1BB, SB
Tabata 2-5, 2R, 2RBI, 2 doubles (#8 &9)
Walker 3-5, 3R, 2RBI, K, 2B(11)
Jones 2-5, 2R, 2RBI, L, 2B(20)
Alvarez 2-5, RBI, K, 2B (6)
Milledge 2-5, R, 2RBI, K
Kratz (ML Debut) 2-5, R, 1RBI
Cedeno 2-4, R, RBI, BB, K, 2B
Church 1-1, 1RBI
Ohlendorf 1.1 IP, 5H, 4R, 4ER, 2BB, 1K, 1HR
Carrasco 3.1 IP, H, 2R, 2ER, BB, 2K
Lopez 0.1 IP, 1H (W, 2-1)
Donnelly 1 IP, 1K (H,8)
Meek 1.0 IP (H,6)
Hanrahan 1.0 IP, 2K (H,15)
Dotel 1.0 IP
After the game, Kratz got greeted with a nice pie by D.J.
I loved this! I had to take a picture!
Other Pirates Notes:
- Tabata leads all MLB Rookies with 9 Stolen Bases.
- Pirates in multirun homer drought -pirates.com
- Sarah Kratz (on husband Erik’s promotion to the Pirates)
“To see my husband in that major league uniform right now, I just can’t explain it. Even if this is the only game, even if it is just one game, Erik can say he was a major-leaguer.”
“It’s a good story. He’s worked really hard to get here, a lot of years to get here. It doesn’t matter if you are 21 or 30, the oppurtunity to play in the major leagues is what you play for.”
-Pittsburgh Post Gazette
Minor League Update:
- Brandon Moss 2H, 2RBI, 2K, HR, 2B
- Alex Presley 3H, 3R, 3RBI, 3B
- Jeff Clement 2H, 2R, HR
- Jason Jaramillo 2H, 2RBI
- Charlie Morton 5.1 IP, 5R, 4ER, 11H, 2BB, 2K, 2HR -99 pitches, WP
- Gorkys Hernandez 1-4, extends hit streak to 16 games
- Bryan Morris 4.2 IP, 5H, 6ER, 3K, 4BB (No decision)
- Nathan Baker (High A-Debut) 6IP, 5H, 3ER, 5K, 1BB (L,0-1)
- From Fri games:
Brian Bixler (Indy debut) 2-5, 3B, RBI
Jeff Locke (AA Debut) 5IP, 4H, 0ER, 5K, 0BB
Gorkys Hernandez 2-4, RBI (.272)
Josh Harrison 2-4, RBI (.314 AVG) Leads E.L
Quincy Latimore 2-5, Walk off HR, 2 RBI
Around the Ballparks:
- The Phillies activate third baseman Placido Polanco from the DL and released OF Juan Castro. (He batted just .198 with 13 RBI in 54 games this season)
- Entering Sat night, the White Sox have won 26 of last 32 games.
- Jered Weaver won his 60th Career game yesterday.
Fewest decisions to 60 career wins (active right handed pitchers)
ATL- Tim Hudson (86 decisions)
HOU- Roy Oswalt (86 decisions)
CWS- Freddy Garcia (89 decisions)
LAA- Jered Weaver (92 decisions)
- Bronson Arroyo (last 6 starts)
5-1, 2.20 ERA, 1.00 WHIP
2 ER or fewer in 5 of the 6 starts
- Worst Road Records (AL) -Entering Sat- win pct%
Orioles 13-34 .277%
Mariners 14-31 .311%
Indians 17-31 .347%
Tigers 16-26 .381% (who are 32-13 @ Commerica Park)
A’s 18-26 .410%
- Strasburg (last nights start) 6IP, 4H, 0ER, 7K. 99 Pitches, Nats beat the Marlins, 4-0.
Strasburg has 2 ER or fewer in 7 of his 8 career starts.
- 5 + Strikeouts and 3 ER or fewer (in each of first 8 career starts)
CIN G. Nolan 1967, 11 starts
LAD F. Valenzuela 1981, 8 starts
WSH S. Strasburg 2010, 8 starts
- Brett Myer is the only pitcher in MLB to go atleast 6 innings in each of his 19 starts this season.
Consecutive starts of 6IP + (to start season)
Brett Myers 19 games (2010)
Joe Niekro 14 games (1977)
Mike Hampton 14 games (1998)
Bob Knepper 14 games (1988)
Jose Lima 13 games (1998)
- Zack Greinke (First 19 starts, last 2 seasons)
Record: (2010) 5-9 (2009) 10-5
ERA: (2010) 3.67 (2009) 2.08
K’s: (2010) 104 (2009) 136
HR Allowed: (2010) 13 (2009) 4
- Adam Wainwright is the first Cardinals player to win 10 consecutive starts at home since John Tudor in 1985.
- The Rays are now 9-0 on the road this season when Jeff Niemann (5-0 individual record) takes the mound. (3.41 ERA 60.2IP, 23ER)
- Cliff Lee is the first player to pitch at least 9 IP in each of his first two games (with new team) and go winless in both since Bill Parsons in ’71 with the Brewers.
- Ichiro tied Yogi Berra in career hits (2,150, which is 190th on all-time list. Unlike Yogi, Ichiro had 1,278 more in Japan.
- Tony Gwynn of the Padres is the first NL player with two inside the park HR in the same season since Jimmy Rollins did back in 2004.
- The Giants gave away Tim Lincecum bobbleheads tonight. Apparently, they ran out 30 minutes after the gates opened. It’s actually pretty awesome:
Sadly, I had to miss the game tonight. I hate when I can’t be there but that’s life. I went to a Bridal Shower so i did enjoy hanging out with friends and family. It was “Garden themed” and were told to wear our favorite hat.
No, the Red Sox are not my favorite team calm down. Any chance to wear a ball cap I jump on the oppurtunity. I am a lover of baseball. I cheer for the Pirates because I grew up watching them, but I also root for many other teams and many other players. You will find me in all different team gear, at all different ballparks, I’m not a bandwagon fan, Im a lover of the game. (Plus it looked cute with my dress )
Tomorow’s Pitching Matchup:
6-10, 3.08 ERA
Oswalt threw a one-hit shutout in his last start. The win put him one win behind Joe Niekro for the most wins in Astros history.
5-7, 4.37 ERA
Maholm deserved a better fate after a fine outing in his last start before the All-Star break. Maholm held the Brewers in check before a rare bullpen lapse led to a 5-4 extra-inning loss.