El Torro does it again! Pirates pummel the Brewers 15-3
I think I’m taking up a new religion. PEDROISM.
This guy is just ridicolous. They weren’t kidding when they said he was the best prospect since Barry Bonds. I know its still early, but he is going to be a phoenomial player. If you haven’t seen him live yet, get down to PNC Park. The sound of the ball coming off his bat sends chills down your spine. He is so much fun to watch. Actually, the Pirates have been so much fun to watch since the All-Star Break. “Who are these guys?!” I ask myself that everyday.
- Pedro Alvarez is the first Pirate to hit 2 + HR in back to back games since Jason Thompson in 1984 and just the fifth Pirate to do so since 1960.
- In the month of July, Pedro: 16 games, 69 PA: .339/.406/.742 = 1.148 OPS
- Pedro has hit 4 HR in 2 games with 8 RBI.
- The Pirates plate 15 runs for the first time since scoring 15 runs on Sept 17, 2008 VS the Dodgers.
- Calvary update (via @roccodemaro) Last 5 games: (Tabata, Walker, Alvarez) 31 for 67, 9 2B, 4 HR, 5BB, .463/.500/.776 = 1.276 OPS
- The five RBI by Alvarez tuesday night and five RBI by Delywn Young last night is the first time since 1976 that Pirates teammates have had at least five RBI in two straight games.
I’ve always believed that hitting is contagious,” Alvarez said, “and I think we’re a perfect example of that in the last few days, and we just need to keep it going.”
Very fun, obviously,” Alvarez said. “To go out there and play some good baseball, come out winning, it’s what we want to do. And it makes it much better when you have a good day. Then at the end of the day you can share a victory with your teammates.”
Pedro may be spotlighted, but he wasn’t the only superstar last night.
DY went 3 for 4 with a three run HR, BB and five RBI.
I wish every night was a career night,” Young said. “But anytime you get in there you want to keep up with the Walkers and the Joneses and everybody else who came up. So not that it’s pressure, it’s just trying to do the best that we can.”
Tabata went 2 for 4 with an RBI and a BB.
Walker 2 for 5 with an RBI, raising his AVG to .314
Cedeno went 2 for 5 with an RBI and might I ad but down a BEAUTIFUL suicide squeeze scoring Pedro. You don’t see very many of those from the Pirates. I melted like pine tar.
Zack Duke was great last night. 6IP, 6H, 3R, 2ER, 2BB, 3K -102 Pitches, 65 for Strikes.
“It was big,” Pirates manager John Russell said of Duke’s start. “Our bullpen again was taxed a little bit. But to come out, we got the lead and really added on, and for him to go out and consistently get us back in the dugout was big for him. Our bullpen needed it.”
Even though the game was a blow out, I must say Gallagher pitched pretty well. Two scoreless innings, Giving up just 1 hit and struck out one.
Randy Wolf is the first pitcher to allow 12 runs to the Pirates in one game since Bill Sherdel of the 1929 Cardinals.
“I saw that I got my butt kicked,” Wolf said. “There’s really not too much to say about that. When you give up 12 runs, you’re not executing your pitches.”
Ryan Doumit was replaced by Erik Kratz in the 4th inning after colliding with Rickie Weeks on a play at home plate in the first.
Not only did Doumit miss the throw from right by DY, he got slammed pretty hard and was experiencing concussion like symptoms. He was taken to the hospital for further tests.
Other Pirates News:
- The Pirates are not looking to give Joel Hanrahan away too easily. -PittsburghPostGazette
- DJ Carrasco (Career split stats)
As a starter (23 games):
5-8, 5.01 ERA, 1.61 WHIP, 56/58 K/BB, 125.2 IP
As a reliever (200 games):
17-10, 4.11 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, 208/113 K/BB, 289.1 IP
- 5 Hit, 2 HR games by Rookie teammates (Since 1957)
2010 – Neil Walker, Pedro Alvarez
2007 – David Murphy, Jared Saltalmacchia
2006 – Dan Uggla, Cody Ross
- Danny Moskos had a rough outting yesterday for AAA Indy. 0.1 IP, 4R, 3BB, 2H.
Around the Ballparks:
- Buster Posey (15 game hitting streak) .441 AVG, 6HR, 19 RBI, 14 runs scored. It is the longest hitting streak for a Rookie in 2010. Its also the longest hitting streak for any Giants Rookie since 1984.
- Dodgers called up Jack Taschner and optioned AJ Ellis to AAA Albuquerque.
- Ryan Howard hit his 244th career HR last night. He is now fourth on the Phillies all time list:
Schmidt (548), Ennis (259), Burrell (251), Howard (244), Klein (243)
- Strasburg went 5.2 IP last night VS the Reds. He allowed 3R on 7H, struck out 7 and walked one. His ERA in 2.32
- Nationals Starting Rotation (this season)
Strasburg- 9 Starts, 75 K
Hernandez 19 Starts, 65 K
Stammen 16 Starts, 46 K
Atilano 16 Starts, 40 K
Martin 8 Starts, 28 K
-Lannan (Currently in the minors) 14 games, 24 K
The Nationals are 6-3 when Strasburg is on the mound and 8-20 when he is not.
- Joe Torre says never on Future -ESPN
- The Astros made a few changes to the Roster yesterday. Casey Daigle cleared waivers and has accepted his minor league assignment. He will report to AAA today. They designated Gary Majewski for Assignment. The Astros claimed IF Anderson Hernandez (MIN) and P Nelson Figueroa (PHI) from waivers and designated P Trinidad for assignment.
- Umpires made a mistake removing Broxton -FOXSPORTS
- Many interested in managing the Cubs -MLBTradeRumors
- Oswalt could throw wrench in Deal -ESPN
- Billingsleys gem ends Dodgers Slide -MLB
Today’s Pitching Matchup:
Yovani Gallardo 8-4, 2.58 ERA
Gallardo is coming off the DL after straining his left oblique against the Cardinals on July 4. He is 2-0 against the Pirates this season and struck out 10 over five scoreless innings at Pittsburgh on April 21.
Ross Ohlendorf 1-7, 4.62 ERA
Ohlendorf’s last start was entirely forgettable as he lasted a career-low 1 1/3 innings. Other than an easy 15-pitch first, there were few positives. Ohlendorf’s lost his fastball command, had suspect control and struggled to find a good tempo in the 46-pitch effort.