News and Notes
Dan Haren will make his first start tonight for the Angels against the Red Sox. A California native, Haren will have plenty of friends and family there to watch in the stands for his Angels debut.
“Being able to be near family and going to a ballclub that is dedicated to winning — for not just this year but a lot of years — I am very excited for the chance to go there and win,” Haren said on Sunday.
The Halos rotation will be bumped back a day. Jered Weaver will start on Tuesday night against the Red Sox, followed by Joel Pineiro on Wednesday afternoon. Ervin Santana will open a series against the Rangers on Friday night. -MLB.com
- Mets (11 game road trip) entering Sunday:
2-10, .194 team avg
They have dropped from four games back to 7 1/2 games back in the NL East during this road trip.
- Astros Wandy Rodriguez (Season Splits)
Last six starts: 5-1, 2.31 ERA, .201 opp avg
Previous 14 Starts: 3-10, 6.09 ERA, 3.17 opp avg
- Robinson Cano hit his 1,000th career hit yesterday against the Royals.
- The Giants longest hitting streak by rookie:
McCovey- 22 games (Aug 15,1959 to Sept 10,1959)
Posey- 18 games (July 4, 2010 to Present)
Cepeda- 17 games (July 15, 1958 to Aug 1, 1958)
- (Via @ScotDMcCauley) It seems Pirates moves will wait so I’ll wait on introducing new player. He’s not on roster, but LHP Corey Hamman is back w/Eveland to DL.
- (Via @DyalanHernandez) Dodgers minor league OF Prentice Redman, who is currently serving a 50-gm suspension, has been hit with an additional 100-gm suspension…Redman tested positive for an amphetamine for the second time.\
- (via @baseballguys) Tom Gorzelanny has allowed 3 or fewer R in 12 of his 14 starts. He’s gone 4-0 w a 2.83 ERA since he replaced Zambrano in rotation.
- Pirates Minor Leagues: West Virginia’s Phillip Irwin was named Sally League Pitcher of the Week and State College’s Tyler Waldron was named NYPL Pitcher of the Week today
- Can the Dodgers afford to keep Russell Martin? That and more on July’s news and notes -FoxSports
- If Octavio Dotel is traded by Saturday’s non-waiver deadline, Evan Meek and Joel Hanrahan likely would share the job until one of them emerged as the no-doubt choice. The Pirates had a scout in Philadelphia this past weekend, watching the Rockies-Phillies series. Colorado is hunting for bullpen help -TribLive
- Fielder’s future to be decided by Saturday Night. Brewers have three options regarding slugging first baseman -MLB
- The Phillies completed a four-game sweet of the Rockies today. It was Phillies first four-game sweep over the Rockies, ever.
- Carlos Zambrano apologizes to Cubs fans (VIDEO) -ESPN
- Reds third baseman Scott Rolen is back in the starting lineup tonight against Milwaukee after missing nine games with a strained right hamstring.
- Dodgers Reliever Ronald Belisario, who has been on MLB’s restricted list since July 7, has resumed workouts at Dodger Stadium, though no timetable has been set for his return to the active roster.
- Ty Wigginton’s sususpension has been cut to two games. He was originally suspended for three games after his tirade following a call at first base against the Twins. He will miss tonights game against the Blue Jays.
- Clayton Kershaw was penalized five games for throwing at Aaron Rowland. MLB consulted with the players’ union, the Dodgers and left the suspension intact. His penalty will start with Tuesday night’s game at PetCo Park.
I’m on camera a lot during the Pirate games (since my seat is right behind the dugout) and lately a lot people told me that they can see me. After watching the replay of yesterdays game I took notes on what not to do. Haha. You never really care or pay attention when you think no one is watching. Anyway, I took a few snap shots.
That’s me standing in the white sundress after Brad Lincoln hit a RBI single to score Ronny Cedeno.
People always ask me why I go to games by myself. Well, there are a few reasons. Not a lot of my friends really like baseball (or they didn’t want to purchase season tickets with me) and I would honestly rather not sit next to someone who wants to chat about other things. When I’m at the game I like to sink into the game and chat with like minded fans around me. Hense what I’m doing in this picture. A fan a few rows back was yelling “Come on guys! They aren’t that much of a better team then us” Which I got a huge chuckle out of. They are first in the NL, we are last. (He obviously doesn’t follow baseball regularly.)
The Pirates have an off day today. Here are tomorrow’s Pitching Matchups:
Zack Duke 4-9, 5.22 ERA
Jorge De La Rosa 3-2 5.65 ERA
Duke gave the Bucs his second consecutive strong start since returning from the DL with a strained flexor pronator, going six innings and giving up just three runs on six hits for his first win since out-dueling Roy Halladay on May 18 and giving a taxed bullpen a rest
After giving up 10 hits and 14 runs (11 earned) in his first two starts after returning from a left middle finger injury, De La Rosa found his form against the Marlins on Thursday. De La Rosa gave up two runs on three hits and struck out eight in six innings