Injuries a plenty
It seems like every time I turn the channel to watch a different game, there is a new injury. I’ve already posted about Bay, Strasburg, Haren, Burnett, Coghlan, Hernandez. Well, it seems like I missed a few more (all within the last day or two. It’s crazy!)
- The Phillies placed Shane Victorino on the 15-day DL with a strained left abdominal muscle. He had an MRI exam this morning, which revealed the severity of the injury. Philly fans shouldn’t fret as it is the beginning of the” Domonic Brown Era “. Brown was named the top prospect in baseball by Baseball America. Domonic hit a combined .327 with 20 home runs and 68 RBIs in 93 games this season with Double-A Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Rockie’s Closer, Huston Street was hit in the lower right abdomen by a line drive during batting practice yesterday. Street was transported by ambulance to the hospital. He spent Tuesday night “at home resting comfortably” and was diagnosed with an abdominal contusion. Street is currently listed as “day to day”.
“I think his body actually kind of went into shock, because he actually said he wasn’t in much pain,” Dugger said. “The thing that was kind of alarming is that he said he had ringing in the ears. We don’t know. Sometimes it’s just a sign of shock. He could have held his breath and gotten this natural response.”
“I saw the whole thing,” said Stewart. “They’re playing catch out there, and I knew the ball was heading their way. I was just hoping it wouldn’t hit anybody.
“I want to say I might have even hit ‘Streeter’ before, like in the leg, in BP. But I can’t say for sure. It’s just a freak thing. You hardly ever see someone get hit in BP. They’re out there playing catch and supposed to be looking over between pitches, so I don’t know what happened there.
- What are the odds of two brothers, from two different teams, getting injured on the exact same day? Well, it happened. Bj and Justin Upton both left their games early due to injuries.
B.J. Upton left in the first inning with a left ankle sprain after running down a ball in center field. He is listed as day-to-day.
Justin Upton left in the fifth inning for precautionary reasons with right hip tightness. He did not require an MRI and is listed as day-to-day.
- Andre Ethier wasn’t injured, but was out of the lineup due to a sour stomach. But that didn’t keep him from playing later in the game. He came up to bat in the seventh with the bases loaded and hit a two-run pinch-hit single.
- Steven Strasburg update: MRI revealed inflammation, but nothing serious, no structual damage.
You know what is even more strange? Mid post, watching MLB Tonight, Angels starter Joel Pineiro was pulled during pre game warmup.
- Joel Pineiro was pulled from his start this afternoon with discomfort on his side. Scott Shields will make his first start since 2003.
I hope I don’t have to keep updating on the injuries. STAY SAFE BOYS!
Around the Ballparks:
- Nationals fans booed when Miguel Batista took the mound in Strasburg’s spot yesterday. His line: 5IP, 3H, 0ER, 6K – 83 pitches
“Imagine you go there to see miss universe and you end up having miss Iowa, you might get those kind of boos.” – Batista on fan reaction to Strasburg being scratched.
- Josh Tomlin dominated in hhis ML Debut VS the Yankees -MLB
It was Tomlin’s first career start and first career win.
Starter to defeat defending Champion in MLB Debut: (last five occurrences)
CLE- Josh Tomlin 2010 VS NYY
BAL- Jake Arrieta 2010 VS NYY
ATL- Kyle Davies 2005 VS BOS
TEX- Brian Sikorski 2000 VS NYY
CLE- Paul Rigdon 2000 VS NYY
- The Brewers were pummeled by the Reds yesterday, 12-4. Gallardo went just 2.2 IP, 10H, 5ER, 3K.
- Ryan Howard (Season Splits)
Games 50 50
AVG .282 .323
HR 8 15
RBI 33 48 (Most in NL during this span)