News & Notes (CIN @ PIT 09/02)
I’m excited to be back at the Ballpark today. I’ll be sure to get some pictures of newly acquired Buccos; McDonald and Synder.
Today’s Pitching Matchup (CIN @ PIT 09/02/10)
Ross Ohlendorf (1-8, 4.35 ERA)
Travis Wood (1-1, 2.87 ERA)
Ohlendorf didn’t make it through the first inning in his last start after being struck on the side of the head with a comebacker. He suffered a bad contusion and abrasion.
“Considering I got hit in the head, I feel like I am really lucky with where it hit me,” he said. “I feel fine. I guess I got lucky.”
Wood has never faced the Pirates before, the Rookie has only started six games in the bigs. On the road this season he is 1-0 with a 3.13 ERA and an .198 OPP AVG.
- The Pirates have a record of 9-3 against the Cubs — and 12-28 against the other four NL Central teams this season.
- Chris Snyder and (RHP) James McDonald are expected to join the Pirates today for the seven game homestand. The Pirates will have to make a corresponding roster move. (Jason Jaramillo is expected to be sent down to AAA-Indy.)
- Neal Huntington said on Sunday during his radio show that he isn’t ruling out making some veteran bullpen additions to compensate for all the recent losses. The Bucs traded three key veteran Carrasco) and released Donnelly.
“We are a little bit concerned that we’re going to through some young, inexperienced pitchers into situations they’re not ready to handle,” Huntington said. “We may explore some options outside the organization to bring in a guy or two who has some experience back there. Or we might just go with the guys that we have to see if they can show us if they can be a part this year and beyond.”
Joel Hanrahan and Evan Meek are the only two members of the pen that were here at the beginning of the season. They will share the eighth- and ninth-inning duties.
“We need our starters to get us deeper into the games,” Huntington said. “We’re going to need to somehow take those high-leverage outs in the sixth and seventh inning.
Other News & Notes:
- Carlos Gonzalez of the Colorado Rockies on Saturday hit a Walk-off HR and a Cycle in the same game. He was only the fifth person in ML History to do so.
COL – C. Gonzalez (SAT) vs CHC
BOS – D. Evans (1984) vs SEA
KC – G. Brett (1979) vs BAL
MIN – C. Tovar (1972) vs TEX
STL – K. Boyer (1961) vs CHC
- Ryan Howard left Nationals Park on Sunday on crutches. He sprained his left ankle trying to get back to second base. Charlie Manuel said he doesn’t think he will be placed on the 15-day DL, although he can’t be certain until the swelling subsides. The X-Rays were negative.
It hurts,” Howard said. “Right now it’s just swollen. It’s tight. Other than that, it’s not too, too bad.”
- Corey Hart and the Brewers make a three year commitment.
“The Brewers are very excited to have Corey signed for the next three years,” Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said in a statement issued by the club. “He is one of our drafted and developed players and with his two-time All-Star performances, Corey deserves this contract that will provide his family security. We appreciate his wanting to remain a Brewer and a part of the Milwaukee community.”
- Most comeback wins this season:
Yankees – 34
Reds – 32
Braves – 30
Rays – 29
Red Sox – 29
Royals – 29
- Rockies Dexter Fowler got injured yesterday while making a really specatacular catch. You can watch the play here. He will have precautionary X-rays and possibly an MRI on his injured left side during the Rockies’ off-day, today.
“He’s got some abrasion,” Dugger said. “It scraped him. The wall pinched him a little bit, got the wind knocked out of him. It was a fabulous catch.”
“It all depends on how sore he is in the morning,” Dugger said on possibly losing him to the disabled list. “With rib injuries, there’s a good chance. We don’t want him to be down 4-5 days, but he if comes back and shows a good size contusion, he’s a DL candidate, for sure.”
Fowler tweeted last night to the fans:
@DFowler24: Hey everyone, home laying down…Ribs are really sore gonna get a MRI tomorrow…Thanks for your prayers and support! Better be #1 on SC!
Follow me on twitter: @kristpie