Preview: PIT @ SD 9/10
Tuesday starts a six game road trip for the Pirates.
Jeff Karstens 2-7, 4.47 ERA
Wade LeBlanc 5-10, 3.61 ERA
Karstens had problems with his command during his last outing. In five innings he allowed nine hits, two walks and three runs. Jeff will be pitching in front of his home town, with plenty of friends and family memebers rooting him on.
LeBlanc hasn’t won a game since June 12. He has a 2.67 ERA at home this season. Wade’s last three starts, 18 2/3 innings, has a 5.30 ERA and has had trouble giving up the long ball.
The NL-First Place Padres look to win their seventh straight against the NL-Worst Pirates. The Padres swept the Pirates at PNC Park this season in July.
The Padres have been struggling as of late, winning just four of their last 10 games.
“Everyone is handling it fine,” closer Heath Bell said. “I don’t think we’re not playing well.
“I think that we are still playing solid baseball and we’ve done that all year. There’s some other teams right now who are hot. Everyone gets hot.”
“No one here is panicking,” Bell said. “This is the time of the year where the older guys show the younger guys that this is no time to panic.”
The Pirates are just 3-7 over their last 10 games. Saturday night’s Walk-off, Three-run Home run by Pedro Alvarez in the 10th inning against the Rockies could be an indication of brighter things to come for the organization.
Other News and Notes:
- The Pirates sign RHP Nick Kingham (4th round), Brandon Cumpton (9th round) and Ryan Hafner (17th round) from the 2010 Draft.
- Charlie Morton had a great outing for Indy on Saturday. He gave up one run on five hits over six innings, striking out five and walking two.
- Andy LaRoche having to adjust to bench role -Pirates.com
- Have Pirates finally bottomed out? -Pittsburgh Post Gazette
- Pirates when…(This season)
Scoring run in the first 5-1 22-10
Allowing run in the first 2-8 7-32
Ahead after 1st 5-0 17-5
Behind after 1st 1-7 3-29
Tied after 1st 3-9 20-36
Ahead after 6th 6-0 25-4
Behind after 6th 1-13 5-60
Tied after 6th 0-1 8-4
- Combating Igonorance II- The Pirates are spending money -PGH Pine Tar