Day three of Pirates spring training: news and notes
- Manager Clint Hurdle is in no rush to name the Pirates opening day starter. The four starters who are secured in the rotation are: James McDonald, Paul Maholm, Kevin Correia and Ross Ohlendorf (in no particular order).
“We’ve got some candidates,” Hurdle said. “I don’t think anyone is out of it. Experience will come in as a factor. We have a few guys who could be worthy of it. You want a guy who doesn’t get caught up in throwing against the other team’s No. 1. There are a few elements we’re looking for.”
- Jose Ascanio is still having issues with his visa. He may report to Pirate city at the earliest as Thursday.
- Andrew McCutchen worked with coach Luis Silverio for a good amount of time on Wednesday working on base stealing. Manager Clint Hurdle has said he wants the Pirates to be aggressive on the bases this year.
- The following pitchers threw their second side session on Wednesday, about 40-45 pitches each: Paul Maholm, Kevin Correia, Joel Hanrahan, Jose Veras, Joe Beimel, Aaron Thompson, Justin Wilson, Ross Ohlendorf, James McDonald, Evan Meek, Scott Olsen, Kyle McPherson, Rudy Owens, Michael Crotta and Jeff Locke.
- The Pirates will wear patches on their jersey’s this year in remembrance of Chuck Tanner. The design is still undecided.
Athletic Trainer Brad Henderson and Ray Searage watch Ross Ohlendorf and James McDonald in the pen (photo via @BucsInsider).