Day five of Pirates spring training: news and notes
- All 62 players (both 40-man and non-roster invites) have arrived Pirate city for workouts.
- Tom Krasovic of Fanhouse.com reported that the Pirates (along with the Mariners, Diamondbacks and Padres) were scouting UCLA’s Hoss Cole on Friday.
- Ronny Cedeno, who arrived at camp on Friday, was spotted wearing the No. 5 since now Manager Clint Hurdle is No. 13.
“Last year was tough for me,” Cedeno said. “This year is going to be different for me because I’ve got a different mentality. I want to prove something. I’ll come every day and work hard and work on what I need this year.”
“I’m happy to be here right now,” Cedeno said. “I’ve been working hard this winter.”
- Many of the Pirates pitchers were called in for early work this morning, Jenifer Langosch reports.They broke up into groups to focus on a number of specific things — delivery, side steps, pick off moves and bunt plays. This all happened before the 10 am workout.
- Jose Ascanio finally reported to Pirates city for his first day of workouts, including his first side session, on Friday. He was held up due to issue’s with his visa.
- The first group of pitchers will throw live batting practice to the hitters on Saturday. The second group will throw on Sunday.
- First baseman Steve Pearce worked with the outfielders on Friday. The Pirates plan to give him work at both positions this year.