Bucs beat Manatee’s 21-1
The Pirates pummeled the State College of Florida on Friday, 21-1 in an exhibition game at McKechnie Field.
The Pirates totaled 20 hits during the seven inning game in front of 1, 860 fans.
Unfortunately I was not at the game. I head down to Bradenton, Fl. on Monday at 6 am. Here are some of the highlights:
- Left-hander Aaron Thompson, who the Pirates claimed off waivers from the Washington Nationals this offseason, started for the Bucs. He pitched one inning, striking out the side.
- Steve Pearce had two doubles, a walk, three runs and four RBIs. He played first base for three innings.
- Gorkys Hernandez, who played for the Altoona Curve in 2010, had three RBI with two singles in the first three innings he played.
- Garrett Atkins went 3-for-3 with a three-run home run in the fifth inning.
- Brian Friday, who played with the Indianapolis Indians last season, hit a solo home run with two runs and a double.
- Corey Wimberly, who was acquired by the Oakland Athletics’ this offseason, went 2-for-4 with a stolen base, four runs and two walks.
- Tony Sanchez, the Pirates first round pick from the 2009 draft, went 2-for-2 with two runs, a double, and a RBI.
- Manatee had just four hits and managed to score just one run off of Tyler Yates in the second inning.