Day 12 of Pirates spring training: news and notes
- FSN Pittsburgh will be telecasting four spring training games this year: March 6th (1pm) against the Toronto Blue Jays, March 10th (7pm) against the Baltimore Orioles, March 19th (1pm) against the Boston Red Sox and March 26th (1pm) against the New York Yankees.
- FM News Talk 104.7, the Pirates flagship radio station, will have 12 games this year which includes the home opener against the Tampa Bay Rays on Saturday.
- Joe Beimel won the Pirates bunt tournament on Thursday, beating out Kevin Correia in the final round as the entire team watched. Not only was it was a fun way to bring the team together, but they also learned from it too. Read more.
- Scott Olsen is scheduled to throw another 25 pitch fastball session on Saturday. Afterwards, the Pirates will reevaluate him. Olsen has been sidelined due to a sore left hamstring.
- Evan Meek threw off flat ground on Friday and also threw long toss. It is unknown to when he will return to the mound. Meek has tightness in his right calf.
“There’s no rush with Evan,” Searage said. “I want to make sure he’s 110 percent before I send his butt out there. He’s playing long toss and doing flat ground right now.”