Day 22 of Pirates spring training: news and notes
- The Pirates will face the Tampa Bay Rays at McKechnie Field at 1:05 today.
Ross Ohlendorf will get the start(3 innings), followed by Evan Meek, Jose Veras, Tyler Yates, Michael Crotta and Daniel Moskos.
David Price will start for the Rays. Mike Ekstrom, Rob Delaney, Matt Bush and Alex Cobb are scheduled to follow.
- Ronny Cedeno was walking around the clubhouse Sunday morning with a bat in his hand –eager to get some swings in the cage and eager to get back on the field. He has been sidelined for several days with a bruised right middle finger.
- Right-hand pitcher Evan Meek will make his spring training debut today against the Rays. Meek has been sidelined with a tight right calf.
- Joe Beimel threw off the mound on Sunday. Although there is no set date for a return, the Pirates say he is on track to be ready in time for opening day.
- As it was pointed out yesterday, the Pirates have five players that have no options remaining: Jose Ascanio, Kevin Hart, Charlie Morton, Chris Resop and John Bowker.
If the Pirates option any of them to the minors, they would have to clear waivers first –which could be a huge risk. Any of the other 29 teams could claim the player.
I think it’s safe to say that Charlie Morton (battling for the 5th spot in the rotation) and Chris Resop (Bullpen) will be on the 25-man roster. However, Ascanio, Hart and Bowker’s future are not as clear.
“It’s a situation where it plays a factor,” general manager Neal Huntington said. “It’s not the decision factor. You start to take a look at which decisions are reversible and irreversible, and sometimes the irreversible decision is the one that forces your hand a little bit.”
Lineups: Jaso C, Damon LF, Longoria 3B, Ramirez DH, Joyce RF, Upton CF, Johnson 1B, Inglett 2B, Beckham SS
Pitchers: Price, Ekstrom, Delaney, Bush, Cobb.
Lineups: Tabata LF, Cedeno SS, Walker 2B, Diaz RF, Atkins 3B, Overbay 1B, Snyder C, Hernandez CF, Ohlendorf P
Pitchers: Ohlendorf, Meek, Veras, Yates, Crotta, Moskos