Day 23 of Pirates spring training: news and notes
- The Pirates will face the Minnesota Twins in two games today (Game “A” and Game “B”) at 1:05. You can listen to live on MLB.TV
Brian Burres will start for Game “A” and Brad Lincoln will start Game “B”.
- Corey Wimberly, who the Pirates acquired this offseason from the Oakland A’s, is still hitless this spring in 12 at-bats. He has four walks and two stolen bases and may be trying too hard to make the big club.
“Coming to a new organization and all the new faces, you want to show them what you can do, Wimberly said Monday. “I’m just trying a little too hard to do things, but I’ll settle down and start making some things happen soon. … Can’t get worse, so you can only move forward.”
- Scott Olsen completed a 30-pitch (plus 2 pitchouts), “2-inning” session against live hitters at Pirate City this morning and said he felt fine afterwards.
- Ever wonder what some of the players do in the clubhouse prior to a game to relax? On Monday Neil Walker sat down with fan mail, in which he read every letter that he received. He also signed baseball cards that were sent to him.
Dusty Brown’s morning routine involves crossword puzzles (he finishes them every time too!) –something he picked up from Tim Wakefield when he was with the Red Sox organization.
- James McDonald is entering spring training this year for the first time in his career in the starting rotation.
“You come into the season knowing what you’re going to be doing,” he said. “That’s nice. It’s not like coming to camp and working as a reliever, and all of a sudden, you might be a starter next week.
“You know what kind of shape your arm needs to be in. You know what kind of shape your body needs to be in. You know your routine.”
McDonald says it’s tough bouncing back and forth but is ready this spring because he knows of his role.
It’s hard bouncing back and forth from the bullpen to starter, but it’s something I had to do to try to help my career,” McDonald said.
Lineup (A): McCutchen CF, Tabata LF, Alvarez 3B, Overbay 1B, Walker 2B, Jones RF, Cedeno SS, Doumit C, Burres P
Pitchers (A): Burres, Gallagher, Nieve, Leroux, Locke, D. McCutchen
Lineup (B): Wimberly SS, Presley LF, Pearce 3B, Lambo RF, Marte 1B, Hernandez CF, Jaramillo DH, Friday 2B, Toregas C, Lincoln P
Pitchers (B): Lincoln, Morris, McPherson, Wilson, Aguero.
*This will be Brian Burres third appearance this spring, but first start.
**Steve Pearce will be making his spring debut at third base.
Lineup (A): Revere LF, Nishioka 2B, Valencia DH, Brown 3B, Tolbert 1B, Dinkelman RF, Repko CF, Casilla S, Butera C, Pavano P
Pitchers (A): Pavano,
Lineup (B): Tosoni LF, Benson CF, Young DH, Parmelee 1B, Hughes 2B, Bailey RF, Plouffe 3B, Lambin SS, Holm C, Slowey P
Pitchers (B): Slowey,