Day 29 of Pirates spring training: news and notes
- The Pirates will face the Baltimore Orioles at 1:05 in Sarasota, Fla. You can watch the game on MLB TV, or listen on MLB.com.
- Kevin Correia will start for the Bucs (pitching five innings) against the O’s Jake Arrieta.
- The Pirates cut 10 players from big league camp this am. You can read more here.
- It was reported that Ryan Doumit (right oblique) was taking dry swings this morning. That’s a good sign for the catcher who has been sidelined since last week. The Pirates will update Doumit’s status on Wednesday.
- Joe Beimel and Scott Olsen will be making their spring debuts today. Each will pitch one inning.
- John Bowker is back in the lineup today. He will be debuting at first base. The Pirates want him to be versatile in case he needs to step in to play there this season. Bowker is having himself a hot spring –batting .333 in 16 at-bats with a double, two homers and four RBI.
Josh Rodriguez was selected by the Pirates first overall in the Rule 5 draft. The infielder is looking to not only make an impression, but for spot on the 25-man with the Bucs.
I was hoping that with the season I put up, I’d opened up some eyes out there,” said Rodriguez, a career .266 hitter with a .356 on-base percentage and .426 slugging percentage in five minor-league seasons. “I think the most surprising part was just being taken No. 1 overall. The Rule 5 draft you usually see a bunch of pitchers go, but not too many position players. So to be taken No. 1 overall was definitely a surprise and definitely made me feel good.”
“We got him for a reason,” manager Clint Hurdle said. “There are people who think highly of him who saw him in the minor-league system last year and as we look to fill that utility spot he’s someone we want to take a long look at. We still have two weeks to evaluate him.”
A great article on why the players and Manager love pitching coach Ray Searage –Pittsburgh Tribune
Lineup: Ciriaco 2B, Bowker 1B, McCutchen CF, Alvarez 3B, Diaz LF, Pearce RF, Rodriguez SS, Jaramillo C, Correia RHP
Pitchers: Correia, Meek, Olsen, Beimel, Crotta
Lineup: Winn, LF, Pie CF, Markakis RF, Guerrero DH, Scott 1B, Reynolds 3B, Wieters C, Andino 2B, Izturis SS
Pitchers: Arrieta, Berken