Day 33 of Pirates spring training: news and notes
The Pirates will face the Philadelphia Phillies at 1:05 today in Clearwater, Fla. Brad Lincoln will start and is scheduled to throw four innings against Roy Oswalt.
You can listen to the game on a free webcast on MLB.com, The Pirates radio network (104.7) or 970 ESPN in Pittsburgh.
- Lefty Scott Olsen has not made a great impression so far this spring. After being sidelined for several weeks (left hamstring strain), he has made just two starts –and they were not pretty. Through 2.1 innings, Olsen has allowed four runs (two homers) on five hits with three walks. Opponents are batting .417 against him.
With just two weeks until opening day, what is Olsen focused on?
Scott Olsen told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, “There are no goals; it’s all about health. That is the goal. I can’t have any goals unless I’m healthy. After two frustrating years in a row, that’s all I want.”
- Pedro Ciriaco, who’s natural position is at shortstop, started at center field on Thursday. Other than batting practice, Ciriaco didn’t have much time to even prep for it. He even had to use Outfielder Gorkys Hernandez glove.
Ciriaco is competing for a utility job and proving that he could play in Center in a pinch, could really help him land a job with the club.
Pedro Ciriaco told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, “I feel pretty good. It was fun. You’ve got to adjust to whatever position you play. In the infield, everything is quicker. In the outfield, I think you’ve got a little bit more time to read the ball. I got one fly ball and one line drive, so it was easy today.”
- Charlie from BucsDugout chatted with Farm Director Kyle Stark while in Bradenton, Fla. For spring training. You can read part one of the interview here.
- Ryan Doumit will be starting today against the Phillies. Doumit (oblique strain) has not played in a spring training game since March 8th. He did go 3-for-4 with a double and a home run during a minor league game on Thursday at Pirate City.
- According to Pat Gallen of Phillies nation, former Bucco Brandon Moss has been cut from big league camp. Moss, who signed a minor league deal with the Phillies this offseason, batted just .167 (3-for-18) with seven strikeouts.
Lineup: Wimberly CF, Bowker LF, Pearce RF, Doumit C, Atkins 3B, Marte 1B, Rodriguez 2B, Ciriaco SS, Lincoln RHP
Pitchers: Lincoln, Resop, Veras, Crotta, Leroux
*As Rob Biertempfel of the Trib pointed out, perhaps a last chance for these players to show Hurdle what they got? Another round of cuts should be happening soon. Doumit is the only “regular” in the lineup and Biertempfel even calls it a “trade showcase”
Lineup: Rollins SS, Victorino CF, Ibanez LF, Howard 1B, Gload RF, Orr 3B, Ruiz C, Martinez 2B, Oswalt RHP
Pitchers: Oswalt, Baez, Romero, Contreras, Madson