Phillies walk-off win, 3-2
Tuffy Gosewisch, a non-roster invite by the Phillies, hit a walk-off single that scored Erik Kratz for the 3-2 win at Bright house Stadium in Clearwater, Fla., In front of record attendance –10, 828.
Right-hander Chris Leroux entered the ninth inning with a 2-1 lead. He allowed two runs on three hits, picking up the blown save and loss.
Brad Lincoln was pulled after pitching 2.2 innings (he was scheduled to pitch four) after getting hit on the right arm by a line drive hit by Jimmy Rollins (For more on Lincoln’s injury update, read here). Unfortunate timing for the right-hander who is trying to earn the 5th spot in the rotation.
Lincoln, despite only allowing one run on one hit, he did walk two batters –both were lead off walks in the first and third innings.
Brad Lincoln told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, “The control issue was a factor today. I never really did get in a groove. My arm felt great; it was just I couldn’t find it out there on the mound. I just battled out there today.”
The Pirates starting lineup today was made up of those fighting to make the club. There wont be many opportunities left to prove themselves, as there are 44 men at big league camp with just two weeks until opening day.
Corey Wimberly went 0-for-4 with a RBI, John Bowker 1-for-4 with a RBI and a double, Steve Pearce went 1-for-3 with a walk. Garrett Atkins and Josh Fields went hitless. Pedro Ciriaco and Andy Marte both went 1-for-3.
Manager Clint Hurdle told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, “I think we’re evaluating internally and we’ll keep it internal. We’ll let people know as we do that. Obviously at this point in time, we’re close to having another round-them-up meeting to decide what we’re going to do with our personnel. I like the way everybody has gone about their work. I like that we have been able to move those guys fighting for the bench positions around.”
- During the first inning, Ryan Howard hit a double up the first base line. Jimmy Rollins, who was on second, tried to score home but the relay from Steve Pearce (right) to Pedro Ciriaco (second) to Ryan Doumit was on target. Doumit missed the tag, Rollins missed the plate but Doumit recovered and Rollins was tagged out –that’s a play to see.
- Mike Crotta pitched yet another scoreless inning. He has not allowed a run this spring –8.1 innings and counting.
- Ryan Doumit (strained oblique) caught five innings and went 0-for-2 today. It was reported that he felt fine afterwards.
- MLB Network announced it will air the Pirates version of 30 clubs in 30 days on Tuesday at 11 PM/ET.
- The Pirates claimed Left-hander Garrett Olson from the Seattle Mariners. To make room for him on the 40-man roster, Kevin Hart (shoulder surgery) was placed on the 60-day disabled list (more on Olson here).
- The Pirates will face the Boston Red Sox at McKechnie Field on Saturday. Kevin Correia is scheduled to throw six innings. Josh Beckett will start for the Red Sox. The game will be aired on FSN Pittsburgh.