Day 36 of Pirates spring training: news and notes
The Pirates will face the Minnesota Twins today at McKechnie Field at 1:05pm. You can listen to the game on the Pirates radio network (104.7) , MLB TV, or on a free webcast here.
Left-hander Paul Maholm will face Brian Duensing of the Twins.
- Injury updates:
Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune reports:
Lefty Joe Beimel on Sunday took a cortisone shot to relieve pain and inflammation in his elbow. He said Monday he had “zero pain” but added there is no firm timetable for when he’ll resume pitching.
Right-hander James McDonald (discomfort in left side) will throw a bullpen session Wednesday. If all goes well, he might be cleared to resume game action.
Garrett Jones said he “felt a little pop” in his neck/shoulder area Thursday and still is stiff and sore. “It kind of locked up, but I feel better now. It’s nothing serious,” said Jones, who batted in a minor league game Sunday.
Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports:
Brad Lincoln’s right arm is still swollen, but he said his range of motion and strength is coming back. Lincoln, who was hit in that arm on Friday, said he hopes to resume throwing (on flat ground) on Wednesday. This means he is definitely missing at least one turn through the rotation.
Catcher Chris Snyder will get 3-4 at-bats in a Minor League game on Monday. He’ll also put his gear on and catch a bullpen session. Assuming all goes well, Snyder, who was out with back soreness, will then catch in a Minor League game on Tuesday.
- MLB Network is in Bradenton today filming 30 clubs in 30 days. The Pirates episode will air Tuesday at 11 PM/ET. Andrew McCutchen getting mic’d up:
- The Pirates released Garrett Atkins and reassigned Fernando Nieve and Justin Thomas (read more here).
- Scott Olsen is out of the running for the 5th spot in the rotation and is likely to start the season on the disabled list. Charlie Morton, although it hasn’t been announced yet, looks to earn the No. 5 spot in the rotation (read more here).
- The Pirates have their final off day of the spring on Tuesday.
- Wednesday the Bucs will face the Houston Astros at McKechnie Field. Ross Ohlendorf, who was originally scheduled to start, has been moved back to Thursday. Left-hander Brian Burres will start against the Astros instead.
General Manager Neal Huntington told Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune, “We’re trying to get (Burres) stretched out to give us multiple innings. He could potentially plug a spot in the rotation if we have a need. Stranger things have happened. Teams have lost two starters in the last five days of spring training. You have to have internal options, which is why we’re trying to get Brian and Jeff (Karstens) stretched out.”
Lineup: McCutchen CF, Walker 2B, Pearce LF, Overbay 1B, Diaz RF, Alvarez 3B, Rodriguez SS, Jaramillo C, Maholm LHP
Pitchers: Maholm, Olson, Veras, Gallagher
*Garrett Olson will be making his Pirates debut.
Lineup: Span CF, Tolbert SS, Mauer C, Young DH, Bailey 1B, Hughes 2B, Dinkelman LF, Lambin 3B, Repko RF
Pitchers: Duensing, Capps, Gutierrez, Hoey, James, Perkins
*Photo credit: @BucsInsider