Post game notes: Rockies @ Pirates 4/7
- Prior to today’s home opener, the Pirates had a tribute for Hall of Fame Manager Chuck Tanner who passed away in February. They showed a wonderful video tribute and also unveiled a decal of Tanner’s No. 7 jersey on the right center field wall.
Injury updates (reported by Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com)
Catcher Chris Snyder (lower back) and Right-hand pitcher Brad Lincoln (right arm contusion) are starting a rehab assignment with Single-A Bradenton.
Snyder will play in Thursday’s game and Lincoln will start for the Marauders on Monday. The Pirates have not said how long the rehab assignment will last. This marks Lincoln’s first game since being hit on the right arm with a line drive by the Phillies Jimmy Rollins.
Lefty Joe Beimel (left elbow) will throw on Friday.
- Neil Walker started in his first major league home opener this afternoon. Walker, a Pittsburgh native, told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com prior to the game, “Well, it feels pretty good. Obviously, growing up in Pittsburgh and seeing a lot of home openers, I’m excited to be here. We’ve started the season off well. What more can you ask for? Thank you.”
- Manager Clint Hurdle met with media for a press conference prior to today’s game. He told Root Sports, “The home opener’s always special. Added significance this season for me personally; an opportunity to manage the Pittsburgh Pirates. I’m humbled by the opportunity. [I'm] Really looking forward to rolling my sleeves up with everybody in this organization and re-bonding the city with a ball club. And to finally get home, after starting on the road for a week, We’re happy to be home. Everybody in that clubhouse is happy to be home.”
- With a lead off single in the 1st inning, Jose Tabata extended his hit streak to seven games.
- The Pirates will face the Rockies again on Friday night at 7:05 PM/ET. Right-hander Ross Ohlendorf will start for the Bucs.
- Right-hand pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez (right thumb) was placed on the disabled-list, so the Pirates will not face him this series. The starters for the following three game are as follows: Jorge De La Rosa will start on Friday, followed by Greg Reynolds (vs. Charlie Morton) and Jhoulys Chacin (vs. James McDonald).
- Monday will be the first off day for the Pirates since opening day. Pittsburgh is the only team to open the season with 10 straight games without a day off.