Results tagged ‘ bill mazerowski ’
- The Pirates will face the Philadelphia Phillies at home (McKechnie Field) today at 1:05.
Kevin Correia will get the start for the Bucs followed by Brian Burres, Fernando Nieve, Bryan Morris, Kyle McPherson and Daniel Moskos.
Joe Blanton is scheduled to start for the Phillies.
- Neil Walker is working with Hall of Famer Bill Mazerowski at spring training again this year. Walker wants to learn everything he can from the eight time gold glove award winner and fears he may even be getting on his nerves.
“Maz is probably the best second baseman of all time,” Walker said. “It’s very humbling having him around. He treats me like a son, and I appreciate everything he does for me. I’m going to listen to every single word he says. I’m guessing by the end of Spring Training he is going to be sick of me. That’ll mean I got the most out of him.”
Maz laughed at Walker’s comment saying,
“He comes and asks me what he needs to work on,” Mazeroski said. “There are other guys who don’t do that. You have to go after them. But he comes after you to get work, and that’s good. You know he wants to learn and he’s learning well.”
“I look forward to him leading the league this year in double plays,” Mazeroski answered. “He adapts that quick. He’s a good athlete. It doesn’t take much. So far this year, he’s picked up everything. If he just keeps doing it for a while, he is going to be fine.”
- Evan Meek is scheduled to throw live batting practice today –not a bullpen session, as previously reported. Meek is sidelined by a right calf strain and –if all goes well– should make his grapefruit league debut Monday, March 7th against the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Scott Olsen (left hamstring) is scheduled to throw a bullpen on Saturday.
Pitchers: Joe Blanton, Beaz, Myers, Carpenter, Zagurski, Bastardo
Lineup: Rollins SS, Polanco 3B, Ibanez RF, Howard 1B, Young 2B, Schneider C, Garcia DH, Valdez LF, Martinez CF
Pitchers: Correia, Burres, Nieve, Morris, McPherson, Moskos
Lineup: Tabata LF,
Cedeno SS Ciriaco SS, Walker 2B, Overbay 1B, Diaz DH, Jones RF, Marte 3B, Snyder C, Hernandez CF
**Ronny Cedeno was scratched from the lineup with a sore right middle finger.
- Be sure to add me on facebook. I’ve uploaded over 100 spring training pictures so far in my photo album.
- Also, follow me on twitter (@kristpie)
- Manager Clint Hurdle addressed the players on Saturday, the first official full squad workout.
“There will be a group of men that turns this thing around here,” Hurdle said. “It will happen. So why can’t we? Why can’t we be the start? We need to set our bar at the championship level, starting with the execution and a mindset. We’ve got to think that way. We’ve got to act that way.”
“We need to focus forward,” Hurdle said. “We have work to do. We need everybody all in. We talked about trust; that’s something I’m a big believer in. There will be a group of men that turns it around here, so why can ‘t we be the start?”
- The first group of pitchers threw a live session of batting practice to the hitters.
Paul Maholm and Joel Hanrahan pitched to Lyle Overbay and Pedro Alvarez.
Kevin Correia and Evan Meek pitched to Garrett Jones and Neil Walker.
James McDonald, Joe Beimel, Ross Ohlendorf, Jose Veras, Aaron Thompson, Rudy Owens, Kyle McPherson, Justin Wilson, Jeff Locke and Michael Crotta also threw live batting practice.
Each pitcher threw about 15 pitches. They then stepped aside for a bit and threw 15 more.
Group two will throw their live session of batting practice on Sunday.
- Pitcher Paul Maholm tweeted after pitching to BP and said his arm feels great.
“Had a great first full squad workout. Got to throw 35 pitches in live BP to overbay and Alvarez. Feeling better each time off the mound.”
- Hurdle has been focusing a lot on situation hitting and is pleased with the results so far.
“It’s a new process for them,” Hurdle said. “If you want to go somewhere you’ve never been, there’s got to be somebody who asks you do to things you’ve never done. I’m asking them to do some things they might’ve never done. It’s not so much about results daily as the preparation that’s put in and the focus in the drill. Some of the guys haven’t (done) well in the drills and they take it personally. But they understand the reason behind it.”
- Bill Mazerowski arrived at camp on Saturday. The hall-of-famer and eight time gold glove winner helps out at spring training as an infield instructor.
Former Pirates Bill Virdon (outfield) and Manny Sanguillen (catchers) have been there since day one working with the players. Kent Tekulve arrived mid week to help with the pitchers.
- Tyler Yates, who had Tommy John Surgery in 2009, has been throwing since January in Bradenton, FL. Under supervision. The reports are very encouraging and he has had no soreness or pain. Yates will have the opportunity to compete for a spot in the Pirates bullpen –something he almost gave up on. If things can turn around for the right-hander, his perseverance will pay off.
Neil Walker is getting ready to face Kevin Correia right now in batting practice (via @BucsInsider)
Paul Maholm, James McDonald, Kevin Correia and Ross Ohlendorf preparing to face live hitters (via @BucsInsider)
listen to best Pirates talk here