Results tagged ‘ colton cain ’
The Pirates will face the Houston Astros in Bradenton, Fla., at 1:05 pm. You can listen to the free webcast of the game here.
Left-hander Brian Burres is making his second start (fifth appearence this spring) and will face another south paw today, J.A. Happ.
- Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune reports that Joe Beimel played catch yesterday and will again today. Beimel (elbow inflammation) said he felt fine. There is no timetable as to when he will throw off a mound.
With just one week until the season opener, is it possible for the lefty to be ready?
Beimel told Biertempfel of the Trib, “I’m not going to go out there if I’m not ready. I wouldn’t do that to the team. I wouldn’t count myself out for being ready, but I’m not going to do anything stupid.”
- Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports the several injury updates:
Right-hander Jose Ascanio threw a bullpen session on Tuesday without any issues. Ascanio has been sidelined with right elbow discomfort.
Brad Lincoln threw long toss this morning. Lincoln is sidelined with a right arm contusion after being hit by a line drive on Friday’s game against the Phillies.
James McDonald is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Wednesday. McDonald’s (left side) next step has not been announced yet.
Chris Snyder (lower back) caught three innings in a minor league game on Tuesday and is said to be feeling fine.
- Be sure to read this great article by Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com on prospect Bryan Morris, who isn’t far from making his major league debut. He discusses what he learned from spring training and the year ahead.
Mayo also breaks down the Pirates top 10 prospects:
1. Jameson Taillon, 2. Stetson Allie, 3. Tony Sanchez, 4. Rudy Owens, 5. Bryan Morris, 6. Luis Heredia, 7. Jeff Locke, 8. Starling Marte, 9. Zack Von Rosenberg, 10. Colton Cain.
- The story about right-hander Craig Hansen is an inspiring one. If he’s fell off your radar, you’re not alone. Acquired in the Jason Bay Trade, Hansen has not thrown a pitch in the majors since April 19, 2009. The 27-year-old is learning how to pitch with a rare condition called Parsonage-Turner syndrome.
Working out at Pirate City this spring, Hansen is slated to pitch at Triple-A this season. Colin Dunlap of the Post Gazette has a story on his recovery.
- Ross Ohlendorf is scheduled to start on Thursday against the Orioles in Sarasota, Fla. He will pitch six innings followed by Evan Meek (one), Garrett Olson (one or two) and Chris Leroux (one). The O’s will send Jake Arrieta to the mound.
*If my memory is correct, this will mark the first time Meek has thrown on back-to-back games this spring.
Lineup: Tabata LF, Walker 2B, McCutchen CF, Overbay 1B, Diaz RF, Alvarez 3B, Doumit C, Cedeno SS, Burres LHP
Pitchers: Burres, Meek, Resop, Crotta, Yates
Lineup: Bourgeois CF, Sanchez SS, Pence RF, Michaels LF, Wallace 1B, Johnson 3B, Quintero C, Hernandez 2B, Happ LHP
Pitchers: Happ, Valdez, Del Rosario, Chacin, Wright, Wolf
- Biertempfel of the Tribune reports that the Pirates will make the following substitutions around the fifth inning:
John Bowker LF, Pedro Ciriaco 2B, Corey Wimberly CF, Steve Pearce 1B, Garrett Jones RF, Andy Marte 3B, Dusty Brown C, Josh Rodriguez SS
16-year-old Luis Heredia throwing a bullpen session at Pirate City this morning.
*Photo credit: @BucsInsider
Minor league baseball.com ranked the top 20 Pirates prospects for 2011. Although most of the players received C’s, John Sickle’s says, “I like the trends here and I think they are on the right track.”
1) Jameson Taillon, Right hand pitcher, B+
2) Stetson Allie, Right hand pitcher, B
3) Tony Sanchez, Catcher, B
4) Rudy Ownes, Left hand pitcher, B
5) Luis Heredia, Right hand pitcher, B-
6) Jeff Locke, Left hand pitcher, B-
7) Diego Moreno, Right hand pitcher, B-
8) Zach Von Rosenberg, right hand pitcher, B-
9) Justin Wilson, Left hand pitcher, B-
10) Starling Marte, Outfielder, C+
11) Bryan Morris, Right hand pitcher, C+
12) Colton Cain, Left hand pitcher, C+
13) Brock Holt, Infielder, C+
14) Nick Kingham, Right hand pitcher, C+
15) Tony Watson, Left hand pitcher, C+
16) Evan Chambers, Outfielder, C
17) Zach Dodson, Left hand pitcher, C
18) Gorkys Hernandez, Outfielder, C
19) Mel Rojas, Jr., Outfielder, C
20) Chase d’Arnaud, Shortstop, C
Some other honorable mentions: Tim Alderson, RHP; Eric Avila, 3B; Nate Baker, LHP; Jorge Bishop, 2B; Victor Black, RHP; Exicardo Cayonez, OF; Jarek Cunningham, 2B; Matt Curry, 1B;Brian Friday, INF; Robbie Grossman, OF; Josh Harrison, INF; Phil Irwin, RHP; Andrew Lambo, OF; Qunicy Latimore, OF; Kyle McPherson, RHP; Jordy Mercer, INF; Quinton Miller, RHP; Daniel Moskos, LHP; Alex Presley, OF; Trent Stevenson, RHP.To find out why the received the grades they did, read here.